Thursday, July 31, 2008

Amber & Animal Greatness

Yesterday was a big day in animal news, with two stories featuring different looks at animal greatness.

In the first, the horribly named Princess Chunk, whose great mass somehow made her a media darling, started off looking for a home and wound up with spots on the Today Show and Regis and Whatshername.
Although my kitties aren't exactly svelte, I'll take Chunk and rename her "Gigi." A little sock toss or fleece wand might take off a few inches from her chin.

In the second story, everybody's favorite online-only magazine (sorry Salon) asked the question, "Why can't the gibbon get any respect?" The author seems to equate their lesser ape classification with size rather than actual taxonomic criteria. My understanding (and observation) was that gibbons, although significantly more advanced than monkeys, were not quite as advanced as apes. That's not to say that I don't think they deserve respect or should be exempted from Spanish animal testing. I definitely agree that gibbons are great. Additionally, I would ask, "What about respect for the siamangs?"

No comments: