Monday, January 28, 2008

Amber & Humidifiers

For more than ten years, I had a nice humidifier that was given to me as a college present by my Grandma Louise. It was gray and rectangular and spewed copious amounts of steam into my dorm room, 7th Street apartment and Avenue B. Like Grandma Louise, it was tough and dependable.
Since then, I've fought an endless battle with hard water build up in my humidifiers that often involves vinegar and scrubbing with a toothbrush. My current device has a remote control that supposedly allows it to take a reading of the humidity in the room and turn itself on or off as needed. But, the fact is that it is always too dry in my apartment in the winter. And, for some odd reason, the device can't run on high at all, so I'm stuck running it on low all day long and hoping the steam can win the race against the dry heat.

My sinuses are pretty unhappy today which tells me that the steam is losing. Maybe I need to move to Costa Rica?

4 comments:

CRD said...

This is SO ironic* because I woke up on Sunday morning with such a sore throat & nose, caused by the lack of humidity in my apartment. But, I have put the ladder away and it is too hard to get it out and retrieve my humidifier from the Up High Place, so I suffer on.

*yes I know this is not really irony, for those irony-impaired readers.

ALH said...

What kind of jobs could we get in Costa Rica?

Anonymous said...

You could work for Don Ricardo Vogel at Rancho Armadillo.

CRD said...

Ay que bueno! We can feed los parajos del noche que no son parajos. Peligrosa!