Monday, November 12, 2012

Amber & Discoveries

I loved Nancy Drew as a lass. My mom bought me the yellow-spined cloth editions whenever we found them at yard sales, and I devoured them--when I wasn't too terrified to uncover my eyes and look at the covers.

I remember The Clue of the Dancing Puppet being the most terrifying of them all.


I wasn't terribly brave. (And still am not.)

And I loved TV.  So, how did I not know about this show?


It's basically the plot of Felicity (young girl moves to city for college) but instead of finding herself, Nancy finds the answers to mysteries along the way.

Why, the second episode even features Scott Speedman as a moody on-again-off-again love interest from her hometown who follows her to the city.


J.J. Abrams, I am onto you.

Also, 1995 Nancy Drew, I am into you.

3 comments:

Alison said...

Yay, new Amber blog post.

I loved those old Nancy Drew books too! I found a bunch in a thrift store one time and liked them so much more than the boring paperback ones I had with covers that looked sort of like TV sitcom versions of teen magazine covers.

I still have never solved The Mystery of Why The Author Decided To Name Nancy's Female Friend George. I am all for unusual names and effing around with gender normative naming, but...George? No.

ALH said...

Wikipedia reports this questionable and confusing origin: Her real name is Georgia, although no one calls her that except her parents. (This is a change made in the 1980s; one volume, The Clue in the Old Stagecoach in 1960, mentioned her real name as Georgia on the title page, but this was altered after the first few printings. In the original novels her name was just George, named for her grandfather, with, depending on the ghostwriter, a chain of either boys or girls ahead of her.)

But, I'll also report I have a cousin named George. In Ye Olde British Times, it wasn't horribly uncommon to give a daughter a "family name" even if it was typically male. Ye Olde Genderblind Timeys.

Alison said...

That is interesting! I wonder if I ever knew that she was actually "Georgia" and just forgot? Because I distinctly remember my confuzzlement over her name.

And it is true that in Days of Yore, many names were either neutral or opposite of what they are now, gender-wise, especially in the Old Countries, but even here. My mom loves the fact that John Wayne's real name was Marion.