Sunday, May 9, 2010

Amber & Really, Technology?

So, some of you will remember the first time I used my oven and CRD and I nearly died from laughter when we learned that, in addition to beeping super super loudly, my smoke detector said in a incredibly calm woman's voice,  "Fire.  Fire.  Carbon Monoxide."  And, if the laughter didn't kill us, the panic of trying to stop the beeping (did I mention it was super loud?) might have.  The event gave me great concern both about what was burning off inside my oven to cause that smoke and about the extra stress of the beeping--while I was trying to gather all four cats into carriers--in case of a real fire fire.  (Carbon monoxide.)

Well, guess what I just learned, at 5:00 am on a Sunday morning, happens when the smoke detector's battery gets low?


"Beep.  Beep.  Low battery."


I'll let you puzzle out how I managed to a) get the damn thing of the ceiling (I have really high ceilings, being on the top floor), and b) figure out where the battery was.  And if that's too easy, you can puzzle out how I disconnected it since it was wired directly into the electrical system. That's right, the battery is only it's backup source of power.

This seems like a really bad over-use of technology.  Just because we can, doesn't mean we should.

6 comments:

CRD said...

Hee hee. Fire Fire. WAKE UP. Fire Fire.

Alison said...

OMG. Mine does not talk but it does beep SUPER LOUD and the battery did start dying at 3:00 am one night. I also am on the top floor and have high ceilings, and had to put a chair on the coffee table to get the damn thing down. It SUCKED.

At least it doesn't talk. That's f-wording creepy.

Alison said...

Also, if it's going to say "Fire fire" the least it could do is play the lines from this song - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT4UpNkTPpM

Kevin said...

They say you should change the battery when you switch your clocks for Daylight Savings Time. That keeps you safe and prevents unscheduled wake-up calls.

ALH said...

Alison, it would be AWESOME if it was M.I.A. who warned me about Fire. Fire. As it is, it's a really, really, creepily-calm stranger. "Carbon monoxide."

Kevin, do you really do that?

Emma said...

I disconnected mine from the wall and haven't put it back. That's probably a bad idea but since I'm on the bottom floor and have fire sprinklers, I figure I'm probably ok without it.