Monday, July 28, 2008

Amber & Bats, Dark Style


So, I saw The Dark Knight over the weekend in Bean Town. I was disappointed after all the hype. Sure, I thought it was a solid superhero movie, with fine performances and a bounty of cool gadgets and stunts. And before I heard about his alleged spat, Christian Bale could have darkened my knight any day.
But, I agree with the brit and my former colleague Lizzie's brother. As A.O. says,
"Instead the disappointment comes from the way the picture spells out lofty, serious themes and then ... spells them out again. What kind of hero do we need? Where is the line between justice and vengeance? How much autonomy should we sacrifice in the name of security? Is the taking of innocent life ever justified? These are all fascinating, even urgent questions, but stating them, as nearly every character in “The Dark Knight” does, sooner of later, is not the same as exploring them."
And Heath Ledger's Joker is really good. But it's still very one-note. He's evil, there's no nuance, there's no layering.
What ever happened to the days when movies were layered like petit fours?

No comments: