Monday, May 4, 2009

Amber & Nicky


Sometimes, on rainy days, I am reminded that when I was Little Amber I had an imaginary friend named Nicky. I didn't invent Nicky, I borrowed him from the book I Am a Bunny written by Ole Risom and illustrated by Richard Scarry.
I wrote a song about Nicky, based on the book.

Hop, hop, hop
I'm a little bunny rabbit
Hop, hop, hop

Here I come
I'm a little bunny rabbit in a hollow tree
As... you... can plainly see

Hop, hop, hop
I'm a little bunny rabbit
Hop, hop, hop
Here I come
I'm a little bunny rabbit way down deep in a hole
My worst enemy is
The big black mole

Now, I really had no idea whether or not moles and bunnies got along. But I knew Nicky didn't like moles. We had that in common.

Like me, Nicky wore overalls, and had big front teeth. We both liked to be barefoot. And, we both liked being outside and watching butterflies. Nicky wasn't the healthiest little bunny, and was constantly having to go to the doctor or stay in the hospital bed next to mine. My evidence for this was the book Nicky Goes to the Doctor in which, well, it's pretty self-explanatory.

See how his little underpants have a space for his cottontail to stick out? Adorable... and functional.

The one difference between Nicky's visit to the doctor and mine was that, when he was done, Nicky got a red balloon to take home. Usually, I just got a bunch of nasty tasty medicines. But, Imaginary Nicky always shared his balloon with me, and that made me happy.

I love my friends.

2 comments:

CRD said...

This is a beautiful post.

With Richard Scarry illustrations, no less.

Amy said...

It's good to have a friend like Nicky.