Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Amber & Bodily Displacement

I had quite a health-related morning. First, there was a "sick passenger" on my train. Unlike on Sunday when that meant an "Irish" person puking in the corner, this meant an overdosed junkie murmuring for help. This delayed my journey by quite a bit. Luckily, there is cell phone reception at the bottom of the center staircase on the downtown platform at 59th Street. (I think it's because there is a transit police station at the top of the stairs.) I was able to call and let my chiropractor know I needed to reschedule... half-way through the appointment.


Next, I saw the podiatrist. I learned that, in science, we call a big toe a "great toe" so that it doesn't develop anxiety about its size. The front of my the metatarsal on my great toe has, as I saw on x-rays, a bony ridge thing that developed as a result of the stress put on it from being en pointe. Ballet, although beautiful, is apparently not good for the body long-term. The podiatrist recommended cold compresses to reduce the inflammation around the joint and gave me a shot of nice stuff (herbs and cortizone, I think) to reduce the present acute inflammation. (A shot in the foot sure is weird. They freeze the foot first.) Also, he told me not to wear Earth Shoes. (Go ahead, James; you knew it.) The lower heel puts increased pressure on my metatarsals and the flexed foot could be what is boo-booing my ankle.


Immediately after the podiatrist I saw my Favorite Person Ever, my chiropractor. I had a subluxation on my left shoulder part, but other than that, my legs were even and he thinks we have turned a corner. Of course, he also forgot I had four cats and thought I only had two. Wishful thinking, Dr. Cooper.
This is my body, and it's the only one I've got.

1 comment:

CRD said...

We are old, and falling apart. I hurt my left pinky this morning putting in hair product, and my knees crack.