Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Amber & It's Not Evil But It is Creepy

So, I spent some time over at the world's largest virtual bookstore that sells less and less actual books, looking at various user comment memes: the howling wolves novelty t, the driving wheel shelf, and the gallon of milk.  I find that kind of stuff delightful: people banding together in the name of wit and humor to say to Amazon, "You want us to help you sell stuff, but we're going to be silly and subvert your user comment space for the sake of that silliness."  Bravo, witty commenters, I say.

But then, this morning, I got this email.


I know, I know.  This is how the Internet works.  Spiders, targeting marketing, etc.  But it doesn't mean I have to like it, right?  Do not go gently into that good collection of browsing data.

No comments: