Monday, February 4, 2008

Amber & Alice

In 2004, I got Alice, the iBook G4. I asked the cute Apple Store man to help me find, the cutest, littlest and cheapest iBook and he showed me Alice and it was true love. She was faster than my old eMac, pretty and so small that she could fit into most of my handbags. I didn't store anything on her, but used her like a remote terminal and took her everywhere I traveled.

But then her health began to decline. Woody got caught in her power cord and knocked her off the couch. For some reason known only to the mysteries of evolution, the ganglia in my leg told me to punt her. The result was two weeks in the hospital for her, replaced hinges on her screen and a new hard drive which Nick installed for her.




Since then, she has been a little fickle. Recently, her touchpad stopped working altogether and she refuses to charge a battery. And, her AC cord is extremely touch sensitive, so, without a charged battery, she shuts off every time you wiggle the cord. Last night, I tried wiping her hard drive and reinstalling Cheetah, or whatever the operating system I use is. No change.

She's an aging diva, Alice. I loved her when, but it may be time for our love to end.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Soon it will be "Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore."* *Sniff.*