Monday, March 31, 2008

Amber & It's a Boy!

I have good and bad news.

The bad news is that Alice has gone on strike. I tried watching Mr. Smith Goes to Washington on her on Saturday night and she kept finding every excuse to shut down so that I would have to fast forward back to my spot (no chapters). At one dramatic moment, when the boss's henchmen were about to smash their car into the Boy's newstruck, Woody jumped up on the bed and managed to jiggle her power cord ever so slightly, and so Alice went to sleep. I got kind of fed up.

The good news is that Alice has been replaced by a new baby brother, Gus, the MacBook.



So far, Gus is fantastic. He charged up all the way last night and then spent the night uncharging and is now recharging for actual use. He has a built-in iSight camera, is a little bigger than Alice (which is a downside for me) and has that fancy Leopard nonsense.

Gus's keyboard is taking some getting used to, but I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

He'll never replace Alice, but he'll replace all of her uses.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This uncharging thing is something it does every once it awhile or just when you use it first time out of box? You might be able to run disk utility on Gus, with Alice hooked up it firewire mode, to see if you can fix her.

ALH said...

I "conditioned" the battery like I read about on a number of websites. You fully charge it, and then let it fully discharge, then it sits for a few hours, and then it's good to go. It's about having the MacBook calibrate the battery so it knows the life of it. You don't do this?

Alice's main problem is a hardware one-- her AC plug is hypersensitive. There's the side issue where she can't charge a battery, but I'm not sure that's a software issue either.

Anonymous said...

I love the name! "Gus" was totally on our short list of names for "if Hazel is a boy." Precisely, it was "August" with "Gus" for short. I liked it more than David and ultimately we settled on a different fellow moniker that happily we didn't need because... she's a girl. Happy computing!

CRD said...

My new computer hasn't been delivered by the stork yet. Your life = Better. Gus.