Thursday, July 9, 2009

Amber & the House

After yesterday's post, some (one) of my dear readers asked to hear more about the River House.


The house itself is in Milfordpennsylvania, right on the shore of the Delaware River. The house has five key elements: the dwelling, the deck, the lawn, the spit and the walk into town. The photo above was taken from the spit, from which you also can swim across the River to New Jersey, looking up at the dwelling and the deck. Here is another shot of Jimmy, enjoying the lawn with the dwelling sort of visible in the back.

As you can tell, one of the key attractions is how secluded it is. For example, based on surrounding streets and following the stream down to the spit, I am pretty sure the house is somewhere in the trees in this satellite shot.


Here is a view of the covering trees from in front of the dwelling, looking up at Jimmy on the deck.
The lawn is good for afternoon resting and having lunch in lawn chairs, while the deck is fabulous for evening meals cooked on the grill and also morning coffee while reading magazines.


The beauty of the dwelling shouldn't be overlooked, though. Here are Baby Alicia and Jimmy in inclement weather hard at work.


The house is owned by some mysterious man who knows Mary Kay whose mother, Mary, knows me. I have been going there for many, many years with some sizable heart-wrenching breaks in between. Woody and Tiggy are old River House pros, but this will be the first year for Pickles and Ginger. I think we're all going to love it. I know I will.

6 comments:

Diana said...

I can't wait to tube down the Delaware from River House 2.0 to the spit. Maybe you will be lounging on the lawn when we arrive (so relaxing!). I imagine the visit to include making a tray (so yummy!) I don't know how we will get back to our house afterwards, but I don't particularly care. Ahhh, summer.

Kevin said...

More good pictures available here: http://web.mac.com/hauntedswampstudios/RiverHouse/RiverHouse2007pt.2.html

Alison said...

I am a dear reader!

This place is ridiculously amazing. I say we change our retreat plans and everyone from SF will head out there.

When you said "the spit", I thought it was one of your funnies and that maybe there was some animal species around there with overactive salivary glands.

ALH said...

Kevin, no photos load on those pages.

Kevin said...

The formatting of the comment screws it up.

Try:

http://web.mac.com/
hauntedswampstudios/
RiverHouse/
RiverHouse2007pt.2.html

Without the breaks.

ALH said...

Oh! Thanks, Kevin. Those are the photos from our last trip there!