Sunday, July 5, 2009

Amber & Masks


I love facial masks. And, my problematic skin benefits from doing them on a regular basis. The above one, photographed by James on a visit to Madison, Wisconsin, is a the classic Kiehl's Rare Earth Facial Mask. It works well as a general mask, but also as a spot treatment. It doesn't smell great, but it is really helps control oily skin.

My favorite store bought mask is Dr. Hauschka's Cleansing Clay Mask.

It's a clay mask which comes dry and then you add water to make it into a paste. I usually do this one after steaming my face under a towel with a bit of lavender and chamomile in the water. Its pretty amazing. After it dries, it gets little wet spots again which I think is it sucking the gook out of my pores. It's a little cost-prohibitive, though, as is its sister product, the Rejuvenating Mask. I use that one for colder weather or when my face feels "hot." I first discovered it when Amy and I had anthroposophic Spa Day at Area in Brooklyn.

But, my all-time favorite mask is not at all expensive, even though it is Dr. Hauschka-related in that I got the recipe out of this book. To make it, you mix honey, goldenseal powder, and raw wheat germ. It doesn't taste as good as you might be tempted to think, but it sure does wonders for my difficult skin. And I look so pretty doing it whether I do it in Madison, Wisconsin...

Or right here in New York!

It sure is hard to maintain my beauty.

2 comments:

CRD said...

My face hurts just reading this post.

Alison said...

OMG - that last picture is priceless.

The Dr. Hauschka's mask sounds like one I may have to try. My stupid skin thinks it is still in high school, and I am willing to fork over the scrilla to get it to act its age.

Yay for recommendations!