Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Amber & Back to Almost Normal

Last night, I brought Woody home from the veterinary hospital. Four vets, $1,929.50, and six teeth and a soft palette extraction later, he is nearly back to normal.

Immediately on entering the house, he devoured two cans of kitty crack

and then a can of Nature's Crack
(whole fish not included), and then groomed all the drool-covered parts his body acquired over the past week.

Then, he spent about 20 minutes trying to shake off his fentanyl patch and let Ginger lay down right up against him.

Then, he climbed under the covers and laid down under my leg tent and fell asleep.

I woke up this morning to his paw in my face telling me it was time for food (and pain meds).

It is so, so, so blissful to have my beastie buddy back. I had thought, last week with his lethargy and crankiness and two erroneous diagnoses of a "neurological defect," that we had lost him forever. Home safe, little kitty.


Thank you, Dr. Daniel Carmichael, veterinary dentist extraordinaire. And thank you Abbie Leibowitz, veterinary resident with smarts and a heart. You guys are my heroes.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yea!

How many teeth do cats have to start with?

ALH said...

Kittens have 26 deciduous teeth; grown-up cats have 30, which consist of 6 upper and 6 lower very fine incisors in front, 2 upper and 2 lower canines, 10premolars and 4 molars. Woody lost some premolars and molars from both sides of his mouth.

Anonymous said...

modern kitty dentistry is amazing!

ALH said...

Amazingly expensive, at least.

Anonymous said...

I am happy about this outcome.

CRD said...

This all sounds so cheap compared to my new Ashera, Super-Walter.

Welcome home, Woody!

Anonymous said...

Woody!

Unknown said...

So good to hear all is well on the Woodrow front. What a cat!

Anonymous said...

That last comment is actually from Diana.

Anonymous said...

oh yoy yoy. This sounds stressful and hard. Thank goodness Mr. W is back at home where he belongs. Lots of love to the Amber family.

TBL said...

Oh, poor Woody! I'm glad he is home and on the mend. :)

You are the best cat-mom ever.

Enia said...

Amber,

Hi, I found your post googling for Dr. Carmichael. Our kitty, Libby, went to see him today and I was so glad to see your suggestion for using baby food to feed her post-extraction. Thank you for posting that.

I hope Woody is recovering well.

ALH said...

Hi, Enia. Baby food- specifically lamb or veal stage 2, the kind without added rice or veggies- is my go-to food for sick cats. They can't resist it and it's easy to eat with boo boo mouth. Just be careful about using it over a long period. It doesn't have much fiber so constipation could be an issue. I hope it works for your kitties!