Monday, August 3, 2009

Amber & Outward Bound

You know those programs where you take a bunch of "at risk" youth and make them hike in the wilderness? And while you are eating beans out of a can and wearing bear bells you learn about nature and the environment while also learning about yourself? This morning, the kitties and I had our own woodland version of that, and I discovered things about my true nature... and about the quintessences of the kittens.

For example, I learned that Pickles is really a rabbit. His preferred mode of transit in the brush is hopping and bounding.


Of course, this means that wherever he goes he travels exceedingly quickly which often leads to crashing into tree trunks or bounding off the side of hills slippery with fallen wet leaves.

I also learned that his brother, Ginger, is really a prairie dog. Whenever nature makes a noise-- a falling branch, a bird fluttering past, an angry chipmunk, Gigi sits up and listens with his front paws dangling in the air.


And the thing that I learned about me is that when there is an event to photodocument, I will usually leave my camera back in the house.

6 comments:

Alison said...

I believe none of this without pictures. Stop living a lie, Amber.

Amy said...

I think I ask this every year but, how do you ensure they don't just run asunder? I don't doubt your skills, I'm just in awe.

ALH said...

I rely primarily on their fear of the outdoors. All four cats are pretty cautious about roaming too far from the immediate house area. But also, I follow them. And if they get too far, I clap my hands and run back toward the house, thus giving them the international signal for "an eagle is coming and is going to eat you if you don't follow me right now."

CRD said...

Those eagles are so immature.

Amy said...

I had no idea that signal had gone international. I am, as they say, LOL.

Can you stay at the River House all summer and keep blogging from there? It's very relaxing.

ALH said...

Would that we could stay here. I think the kitties would really, really like that. Unfortunately, other people are coming tomorrow, so we have to vacate. There is a plan afoot with our Milford Up River Neighbors for New Year's Eve on the Delaware River. I think kitties would be most pleased with that as well.