Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Amber & Kitty Profiles: Ginger

Tragedy was narrowly averted last night. I was in the midst of cooking dinner and Ginger jumped up on the stove and singed the ends of his tail fur on the open flame! He seemed unphased, but I thought to myself, What if that had been the end of Ginger? What if Amber & readers never really got to meet him? And then I resolved to tell his tale. And tell about his singed tail.
Photo by James
Ginger is small. He has petite little paws and weighs nearly nothing when you lift him. He still has all of his milk teeth, and is struggling with a sinus infection. Like cat mommy like baby kitty!

Ginger is a patched brown ticked tabby. This means he has some big brown tabby parts, but then some completely white parts. The most fascinating aspects of his coloration are the black backs of his feet-- like little soles on his slippers-- and his gigantic squirrel tail. Luckily, you often get to view these features because he is usually running away from you to chase something or cause mayhem in general. Also, his britches are tan and extremely long.



Ginger loves standing on his back legs to watch the water go down when I flush the toilet. (There was no way I was going to photo document this.) He seems to like all kinds of water: he watches me shower, he tries to get up on the counter when I am using the sink, and he is amortizing the value of the freshy flow quite well, although he usually sits in the basin rather than drinking from it. He loves toys, napping on the cat condo near the window, suckling on fleece blankets, and his brother. He also loves shoes. At first I thought he loves shoe laces, specifically, but then I caught him with his face stuffed inside my clog, licking the foot bed.

Photo by James

Ginger does not like being growled at by Woody (he usually dives under the covers), taking his medicine (he usually dives under the covers), or loud noises outside (ditto). He's a generally agreeable kitten, and took his first lap nap over the weekend. Since then, I don't think he has stopped running.
In fact, it was nearly impossible to take the requisite photo of us together because hes just so darned wiggly. I sure love his little wiggle self. Singed fur and all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What were you cooking? Stove-top pie?

ALH said...

I was cooking a pie in the oven, the smell of which probably attracted him, and boiling water in the kettle on the stove top for tea to go with my pie.

And then, I cooked some kitty tail fur.

Unknown said...

Oh, man, I love the kitty profiles. You should get MORE kitties so that I can read more. :)

xoxo