Friday, November 21, 2008

Amber & Déjà Zoo

So, it turns out that my job in the Bronx is actually very much like my old volunteer work in D.C. Of course, there are a few small differences, but there are also many similarities. Let's examine them.

Instead of greeting visitors when they enter and thanking them for coming when they exit at Zoo Lights in extreme winter weather, I am greeting and thanking at Garden Plantbuildings in an cold spell. (Sure there are trains, but really the historical and landmark buildings made entirely of plants are really the main attraction.)

At both, hotdrinks are key to staying warm.

At both jobs, I face the challenge of 8-hour hat hair. And, at both, I have an indoor job where I have to take off my hat. Only, at the Zoo I didn't worry so much about what my colleagues thought.

Photo by James

At both, I face the challenge of dressing appropriately for spending an excessively long time standing around outside. At the Zoo, though, I could dress more casual style. But, at both I wore name tags.

Photo by James

My Zoo tag was way cooler because it said I was friends with apes and lemurs.

I miss gorillas. Zoo Lights wins.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Garden Lights are closer to Mofongo. Garden Lights win - checkmate