Monday, November 17, 2008

Amber & Blurry Memories

Remember when I lived in Madisonwisconsin? And I worried about how everyone drank so much and then drove home in the snow and slush? And how I had many a winter warmer of brandy before wishing my Wisconsin friends good-bye as they drove off sloshed?


Well, the Old Gray Lady just did an exposé on my Wisconsin experience.
"When it comes to drinking, it seems, no state keeps pace with Wisconsin. This state, long famous for its breweries, has led the nation in binge drinking in every year since the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention began its surveys on the problem more than a decade ago."
"“I work 70, 80 hours a week, and sometimes I just want to relax,” said Luke Gersich, 31, an engineering technician, who drank a Miller as he watched the Monday Night Football game at Wile-e’s tavern. On a weeknight, he said he might drink seven or eight beers. On a weekend, it might be closer to 12."
News flash! That's alot of beer.

2 comments:

CRD said...

I am not surprised. Once I went to madisonwisconsin and drank so much that I had "Food Poisoning" the whole next day. It was exactly the same as when I had bad clam steamers, except preceded by many, many cocktails.

Anonymous said...

I forgot that you lived in Wisconsin! When was that again?