Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Amber & Fresh Direct

I have been experimenting with Fresh Direct. There are few good grocery stores near my house. There is a D'Agostino's which I find to have gross produce, but it's a good source of lamby baby food. And there is Frank's which is so ridiculously over-priced that it makes Whole Foods look like a discount chain. So, at CRD's suggestion, I tried ordering in my groceries.

There have been a few snags, mostly due to my lack of reading comprehension. Like, when I thought I was getting a gallon of 2% milk, but I really got a gallon's worth of drink boxes of 2% milk.

Or, when I thought I was getting a pie and saved room in my tummy for my 6 to 8 pm delivery window, eagerly expecting my dessert, and then it arrived frozen, but "ready to bake."

And there is the excess of packaging. As someone who brings her own canvas bags to the store, I find the six cardboard boxes that came with my last shipment a bit much. (Sorry, Al Gore.) But, the kitties sure enjoy them!

But, overall, it's going really well. The produce is lovely, the ready-to-bake items are delicious (sorry, Kevin: I ate the pie), and it's incredibly convenient. It definitely is more expensive than a good grocery store, but that's the price you pay for the ease of getting fresh veggies delivered to your house.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think Fresh Direct is a good plan for you. (Especially if you keep ordering pies.)

CRD said...

Mmmm, pie. What about Chicken Pot Pie? PIE!