Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Amber & Winter

It's snowing today in DC!

There are several things I love about winter. I love winter clothing: sweaters, long johns, fleece, puffy coats, hats, scarves, mittens. I love winter beverages: hot chocolate, tea, mulled cider. And I think snow is the prettiest. I find the experience of walking in falling snow to be very grounding; it reminds me that I am a tiny person on a huge planet and there are these epic weather patterns that are bigger than me. It's downright magical.

But at the same time, I have poor ability to generate body heat and hate being cold. This winter, I've actually been quite comfy outside with my layering strategy. But, in my office all day I shiver and freeze. Today, I am wearing long johns, wool pants, a t-shirt and a sweater along with the oft-mentioned puff coat at my desk. And I am still chilly. I'd be better off lying down in a snow bank outside.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Forget the puff coat at the desk; you need: 1. a hot drink, and 2. a hat.

ALH said...

I guess wearing a hat in office isn't odder than wearing a puff coat. I have lots of hot drink. So much Bigelow Orange Spice Tea that I am like potpourri.

Anonymous said...

I'm sending you our snow photo from this weekend right now. I completely agree about the quality of walking in snow.