Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Amber & Code Green

Santa was up to mischief this year and brought me my first Code Green at the zoo. I was down at Gibbon Ridge with Keeper Becky a little before the goal departure time of noon. We were handing out today's enrichment of cooked pasta with papaya and tomato sauce (my recipe) when we heard a bird keeper call one on the radio. A Code Green means that an animal is out of its primary enclosure. Becky says this happens most in birds, but also in small mammals sometimes. But, it's more rare that an animal gets outside like today's "flighted bird." We listened on the radio for a while as keepers from all areas came to help try to corner the bird. There was even a net gun just in case. The bird was on the roof for a while, and then flew down into a tree, and then was flying around in the valley. At that point, Becky and Lori headed out to help wrangle the bird and I hopped on my bike and headed home.

I sure hope they caught the little guy and brought him back inside!

1 comment:

CRD said...

It's a Christmas miracle! It's like when the baby Jesus and his sidekick Baby Moses escaped from the Luddites and made it to MeccaLand. God Bless, America.