Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Amber & CSA

Yesterday was Farm Share Tuesday, when Karl's Farm brings me my weekly basket of harvest. This week's basket featured...

radicchio and mesclun mix...

baby beets...

tatsoi (shown here chopped to be cooked with tofu and rice)...

..and carrots and white hakurei turnips.

and a leek (not pictured). The carrots and turnips went into the crock pot with some stock to make a nice smooth rooty soup and I roasted the beets for use on a salad with the mesclun later in the week. That leaves the radicchio which will get cooked up with some sausage and pasta tonight. A delicious week of meals in a half bushel.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Very intriguing! Please tell more about the crock pot soup. We just started crock potting as a resutl of getting hitched and therefore coming to own a crock pot and so far it's been a very pleasing experience. However, I've only used it to make meaty things like chicken in a pot and pot roast and always adhere to the recipe. Are you finding the offerings of your farm basket are especially zesty/crisp/veg-tastic as a resutl of having just been plucked from the earth? What do you do with the rustic basket? Or is that just for show. Must go to bed now... am getting a little loopy.

ALH said...

Good questions, Amy.

I have mixed feelings about the crock pot soup-- the slow cooking made the veggies lose their color which turned the soup a really bland brown. It still tasted yum, but I'm not sure I'd repeat the process. I have a couple of really excellent crock pot recipe books which I'll post about soon.

The leafy greens are amazing-- the fresh-pluckedness definitely increases flavor.

I leave the rustic basket (about which there is a whole story-- another post TK) downstairs in the AM and the farm folks refill it each week. It's theirs, on loan to me, for the life of my share.

Unknown said...

They deliver it right to your building? That's really good mail!