Thursday, December 11, 2008

Amber & Technology

I want to take today to acknowledge what I think are the top five greatest technological advances or inventions of my lifetime. These are all monumental leaps forward which both have improved the quality of my life and are just plain amazing artifacts of human achievement.

1. The Internet


No surprise here. When I was born? There was no Internet. I had an AOL account and a dial up modem with my IIsi back in 1993. We've come a long way, Internet Baby. I really don't know what I did before e-mail or Google or iChat. The Internet has had a monumental effect on every aspect of my existence.


2. The Swiffer


How did I keep my floors clean before the Swiffer? I didn't! It would be impossible to own so many cats without out both the Swiffer Wet and the Swiffer Dry. Sure, the little pads end up in the landfill, but they save electricity and the cat-terror induced by running the vacuum. And, the swiveling head is amazing. The Swiffer makes cleaning so easy, I can't help but clean.



I still think the technology is not quite there to support the widespread use and reliance on mobile networks, but remember when you had to stay close to the wall in the kitchen to talk on the phone and the cord would get all wrapped around stuff? Of course, now you have to stay away from the dead zone that is my couch, and your iPhone earbud wire gets all wrapped around your sunglasses. But still: progress!


4. Fresh Direct


Old meets new: food delivered to your house that you order over the Internet. What more could a hungry girl who lives in a fifth floor walk up possibly want?

5. My sister Candice

Not exactly technology, but definitely invented in my lifetime. And so, so nice to have around.

No comments: