Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Amber & Ira

Sigh. I love Ira Glass.

Partly, I am confusing the vendor with his wares. I love This American Life, mostly in its radio format (which I listen to in podcast), but also more recently in its television format. I listen to the radio show on my commute (or, alternately I like Radio Lab) and also on Sunday mornings when I am puttering around the house. The show consistently makes me cry. It treats its subjects, people, with such respect and affection. It makes me glad to be alive at the same time it makes me recognize how hard being alive actually is.

I also love Ira's voice. Stephen Colbert recently teased that his voice was "lifeless." The notable thing on this clip is how absolutely giddy and full of life Ira actually is.

The Colbert ReportMon - Thurs 11:30pm / 10:30c
Ira Glass
www.colbertnation.com
Colbert Report Full EpisodesPolitical HumorStephen Colbert in Iraq

Nick, who used to work in public broadcasting, tipped me off to the fact that Ira used to be alot heavier. I confirmed that by watching this clip of him over at the Daily Show.

I also just have a man crush on him in a nerdy way that kicks the butt of the girl crush I have on Rachel Maddow. The salt-n-pepper hair, the goofy smile, the prominent nose. I, for one, was pleasantly surprised when I matched the voice to the face. Swashbuckling Schmaushbucking.
P.S. If you, too, like the show, this might be a good moment to contribute. They're having a hard time keeping up with the podcast demand. Maybe you could help pay for my habit?

No comments: