Saturday, June 13, 2009

Amber & Cafix

So, I love coffee. But, it doesn't love me so much. Thus, my last hurrah has ended and I am trying to go coffee-free.

Kevin advised me to not think about changing my health and eating from the papers again as one big switch to pull ("now! I am perfect from now on!"), but rather to make better decisions in the moment. That makes so much sense to me since I have trouble digesting big changes to begin with (and coffee). Kevin also told me about this product that Diana drinks: Cafix.

It's made from barley and chicory and contains no caffeine. The point is that it is supposed to be a delicious hotdrink that fulfills the sensory gap left by removing coffee from one's consumption. My only experience with these coffee-substitute drinks has been at Angelika Kitchen where their grain coffee is always a meal-end treat.

This is my first morning with Cafix, and let me tell you it is pretty delicious.

I added some creamline milk, some honey and some cinnamon and served it up in my favorite morning mug. It's downright delightful. No, it doesn't taste just like coffee, but it has the hearty, rich, earthy flavor that feels like waking up. I am having a super nice time on the couch drinking my beverage with kitties. Thank you, Kevin and Diana.

P.S. Pickles just caught and ate a fly. Now he is coughing funny. I think it tickled his throat.

6 comments:

Alison said...

I'm glad you've found something to replace coffee!

I'm not sure if I'm glad that you have directed me to fishseddy.com, because now I shall go broke!

CRD said...

IRONY! I bought some items at Fishs Eddy yesterday. Now I have champagne FLUTES and juice classes.

Alison said...

Do you learn how to make juice in juice classes? Or do they just teach you the history of juice?

ALH said...

Ha! CRD, Alison totally busted your typo. You sure embarrassed yourself.

Unknown said...

In New Orleans they have a tradition of drinking chicory "coffee" because in the colonial days coffee was a hard product to import.

ALH said...

I had no idea I was all Cajun-style!