Saturday, January 12, 2008

Amber & Breakfast

For many foolish years, I didn't eat breakfast. I was always in a rush and didn't think I had time to grab anything to eat. When I was in Madisonwisconsin, I had horrible problems with acid reflux and started seeing an acupuncturist named Kristen. Kristen gave me two pieces of paper which still guide how I eat.
The first was a little green square where she had written out foods I should and should not eat. She would be so proud of me that now, two years later, I have finally gotten around to giving up coffee.

The second sheet was all about congee. Unlike the traditional congee Kristen gave me an outline for a type of sweet breakfast congee to be made in my crock pot overnight. A Chinese congee-eater probably wouldn't recognize my New Age Lady Western Version. In addition to rice, I can use millet, barley, rye, spelt, quinoa, amaranth, wheat berries or kasha. Then, I choose some spices, nuts or fruits, veggies and flavorings. I currently make one large pot on the weekends and then reheat individual servings in the microwave during the week. Last night, I made a delicious batch using quinoa, delicata squash, apples, craisins, and cinnamon. Then, I serve it topped off with soy milk and honey. It has the consistency of oatmeal, but it's much more flavorful and apparently better for my middle burner, which is what we call the belly in Traditional Chinese Medicine. It's delicious, nutritious, and it seems to have cured my acid reflux. And, the house smells great in the morning!

Of course, that doesn't mean that sometimes I don't get tempted by foods that are not on my little green sheet. Like Donuts.

2 comments:

CRD said...

This post is excellent. It conveys education, synchronicity (I had oatmeal today!), and donuts.

Anonymous said...

Deep-fried pork sausages are also very good for breakfast. They're just like congee, but not all mushy.