Sunday, January 6, 2008

Amber & Dublin Coddle

In 2008, I make one crock pot feast every weekend so I have a nice hotdish to take to lunch during the work week. The year started off meaty with a pot of Dublin Coddle.I've been craving starches and this seemed like a hearty winter way to fill that craving. It's basically layers of sliced potatoes, carrots, bacon and banger sausages. It's delicious but definitely not the most healthy food.

To make the coddle, you fry four strips of lean bacon in a large frying pan until crisp. Once you remove the bacon and have them draining on a paper towel, you then add 1-1/2 pounds (6 to 8) banger pork sausage to the bacon pan and cook those just until browned. They don't have to be completely cooked-- just browned. Then, you drain the extra fat from the pan and add 2 thinly sliced yellow onions and lightly brown those in a little bacon sausage fat. Then, in your crock pot you make layers: half the onion, half of two slices potatoes (peeled), the bacon, the sausages, two sliced carrots, and the potatoes. In between each vegetable layer, you sprinkle salt and pepper . Then, you add 1 cup of water, hard cider, beer or chicken stock. (I used beer.) It cooks on low for 5 hours. You can make it in a pot, I'm sure, and there seem to be recipes all over the web for other cooking methods. I topped it with chopped parsley. The recipe came from The Gourmet Slow Cooker which is a must have for the crock pot cook.

Yum! Winter isn't so bad with Dublin Coddle in your tummy.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is tasty sounding. I bet any of the Kitties of the Week would enjoy a serving too.

CRD said...

This looks and sounds SO GOOD. Maybe I want to get a slow-cooker and make dublin coddle too.

Anonymous said...

What makes the banger pork sausage such?

ALH said...

According to my friend Wikipedia:

"Welsh sausages, or bangers, for example, normally have a significant amount of rusk, or bread crumbs, and are less meaty than sausages in other styles. Bangers are also used to make toad in the hole. They are an essential part of both a full English breakfast and an Ulster Fry, and are usually offered with an Irish breakfast."

ALH said...

I like bangers because they are MILD. (See today's post.)

CRD said...

I like bangers because they are a double entendre and they make me giggle. Boobs.

ALH said...

Please, sir. May I have some bangers with me mash?

CRD said...

'allo, Guv'nor! I'd like some bangers in me fanny. Cock-a-hoop!

ALH said...

CRD's comment is almost as inappropriate as the description accompanying the illustration on the thank you card I sent him which he hung on his wall during his parents' visit.

Anonymous said...

Do you fly to the UK to purchase bangers with euros? I can't remember ever seeing a "bangers" section in my local mart.

Please say more about the illustration description zaniness.

ALH said...

I got mine at Whole Foods. Upscale meat counters tend to have them, or sometimes they are in the fridge case at places with big meat selections.

Anonymous said...

I had toad in the hole at a pub in England in November 2006. It was extremely tasty, and I have often had a hankering (alas, unfulfilled) for it since.

ALH said...

Double entendre! Toad in the hole! That's what she said!

Anonymous said...

That's not what I meant.

ALH said...

But every reading is a valid reading.

Anonymous said...

Amy,

Bangers, sausage rolls, and very good meat pies can be had at Myers of Keswick on Greenwich Street in the Village.

They're super tasty!

CRD said...

Hee hee. "hankering." KRW is a perv!