Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Amber & Novelty T's

I have decided to make this Novelty T Week and feature, on my person, a different novelty t-shirt from my extensive collection. Really, I had started this theme week without thinking about it, but it's working so well for me, I decided to run with it through Friday, especially since crew necks cover up the fact that my odd anti-antibiotic rash has moved down my neck to my chest and upper arms.

I love novelty t-shirts. Back in the Avenue B Days, CRD and I used to come up with different slogans that we thought we should put on shirts. They were super witty and funny. But, I can't remember any now. And, I used to make t-shirts featuring illustrations of Amy drawn with crayons: Amy as an astronaut, Amy wearing a birthday hat, Amy as a chef. Etc. (If any of those still exist, I would love reader-owner photo submissions. I would also be pleased to feature reader submissions of your favorite novelty t-shirts.)

Yesterday, I wore this great shirt from BoyGirlParty that Nick gave me for an occasion.

This shirt does what every great novelty shirt should do: it raises questions. Where are the kitty's legs? What's he doing with that yarn? What's he looking at? Why is he so cutie and round?

Today's shirt was a birthday gift from CRD.


I don't know if you noticed, but that's a raccoon buddy playing the drums! But his drums are garbage cans! And he has a crazy look with pink eyes and some of the sound effect illustrations say "BOOM." ! What's going on there?

Of course, you've already seen some of my collection featured on this blog. My very third post ever featured CRD and I wearing our matching brown smoking bird shirts on a DC edition of Awesome Club.And, I added this timely one to my collection in January 2009.


I had blogged about that one before it was given to me by Nick on a trip to Boston. At the time, I even made a crack about not wearing novelty t-shirts to work. (Those were the old days.) I bet you can't wait for tomorrow's shirt!

3 comments:

Alison said...

I am also a fan of novelty tees, though I don't have many, and I think the ones I have are not quite "novelty" but rather just "slightly witty".

I can't find a picture of my favorite one, and I never wear it because it is - 1) bright effing red; and 2) a wee bit too small for me at this time. It has a drawing of a little boy and girl - boy is asking "What's your sign?" with a smarmy look - girl is holding up a stop sign. LOVE.

Then of course there is this one - http://tr.im/zq36 - which isn't actually true for me but I still want it...in black.

ALH said...

Both of those are AWESOME shirts, Alison. They bring honor and pride to their Novelty T genre.

Alison said...

They are happy to do their part!

Actually...I've lost a few pounds since the last time I tried to put that first one on. Who knows, maybe it'll work. Maybe you'll see it next week! It's still bright effing red, though...