Monday, October 26, 2009

Amber & Eyeballed

Imagine my surprise when I was watching Gossip Girl and Kim Gordon arrived to marry the mom and dad on the show! (I don't imagine you're surprised I watched GG-- I've been sick long enough to watch everything on the Internet, including the entire The IT Crowd series on Netflix Watch Instantly--more on that later.)  I remember there being some back-story about how the dad was a rock star and the mom was a groupie, but I was still shocked to see them put their money where their mouths were in the form of appearance fees for Mrs. Rock-N-Roll Family herself.  Back in the day, we used to see them packing up the Volvo wagon for the weekend, just like regular parents, only with skinnier jeans.



I was not surprised when the full band appeared to play the reception, after all they have that album from this past June and I bet a tour to go with it.

But I WAS surprised when Mark Ibold turned out to be the bassist in the band.  When did that happen?



You may remember I have a special long-term relationship with Mr. Eyeballed.  We used to live in the same neighborhood, and I would see him around all the time.  Once, I even helped him figure out how to use the peanut butter making machine at Commodities.  And then he used to tend bar all the time at Great Jones when James and I would have brumch there.

How we've fallen out of touch for me not to even know he had joined Sonic Youth!

3 comments:

Alison said...

I have never watched Gossip Girl and have no interest in doing so....but the fact that Sonic Youth was on the show is making me question that stance.

It's very odd. The kids on that show do not look like my friends and I did back in the days of Sonic Youth blasting from the stereo...I am having trouble suspending disbelief!

ALH said...

Trust me, Alison: you're better off listening to Goo nostalgically than watching Gossip Girl. It's not very good. And the Youth are only on screen briefly with annoying teens talking over them most of the time.

And, maybe I imagined the whole thing like I did with the helicopters.

Alison said...

Maybe you're imagining this comment!!!!