Saturday, October 17, 2009

Amber & Travel

I've spent the day cleaning the mess that accumulates in an apartment inhabited by four cats when their owner suddenly becomes a frequent traveler. As frequent readers know, I was in San Francisco a short time ago for work and then also a day of recreation and Redwoods.


Then, I was home for one week, but never really got back into a normal routine or got on top of the entropy. And then, I traveled to the world of Freakshow Injuries when I got whiplash while blow-drying my hair. (No, really. I really got whiplash. Apparently, my muscles were cold and then I shocked them with heat and then moved in the exact wrong way. Beauty hurts.)

And then I had to take off, unable to turn my head to the right, to face my old nemesis, Washington, DC. The kitties were alone from Tuesday AM until Thursday evening on account of not being able to get a sitter. I left out tons of dry food, a day's worth of wet and seven water bowls (and two Woody paw-sip glasses full).

Photo by James, 2005

Mysteriously, when I got back on Thursday, there were no barfs at all, proving that no cat sitter vs. cat sitter makes no difference in kitty puke habits.

On Friday, I had more travel in store! I ventured to Brooklyn for a chiropractor appointment. Mysteriously (again), my left shoulder hurts like crazy since that visit, but I can totally turn my head to the right. Hello, right side of the world!

The sad and happy thing about my Brooklyn journey was that my chiropractor is in Amy & David & Hazel's old neighborhood. It made me sad that I haven't seen them in forever, but it made me super happy that they are such good people and, with a little effort and a little less travel ahead, I can see them soon. And maybe just in time for the second snow of the season.

By the way, I don't have any hot water today. Not ideal for cleaning nor for whiplash soreness. WTF, building? Why do we never lose hot water when it is warm outside? And why wasn't there even a warning sign this time?

You thought my hair was gross when I had to wash it with conditioner....

2 comments:

Alison said...

Nick looks overjoyed at all the Nature.

Thank you for the epic catch-up post. I had been wondering if you once again came home to kitty blood-puke....and then I thought, what a strange thing that is for me to wonder about.

Amy, David, & Hazel said...

We love Amber.