Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Amber & Royal Wedding

Last night, I ate too much. I made a boiled dinner in the crock pot, New Britain-style with a kielbasa instead of corned beef. It was pretty tasty which lead to over-eating. AND, right before dinner time, my friends Fresh Direct came and brought me some of their awesome full sour deli pickles. I only had two, but two plus boiled dinner is sure alot in my tummy, even with my pants unbuttoned.

While I sat very still, hoping my belly wouldn't burst, I watched Fred Astaire and Jane Powell in the delightful romantic dance musical Royal Wedding.

Fred and Jane play a avowed-bachelor and polyamorous-bachelorette brother and sister theatrical dance team. The siblings get an offer to take their show to London a month before the wedding of (then) Princess Elizabeth and (then and still) Prince Phillip. Of course, since it's a musical the siblings eventually final their place in the social order and settle into heteronormal monogomous marriages. But not before there are some amazing dance numbers, including this one where Fred dances on the walls!



I learned from Wikipedia...

The number was filmed by mounting the camera and operator in a cage which rotated with the room. The same technique would later be used to simulate a zero gravity environment in 2001: A Space Odyssey, to allow Lionel Ritchie to perform a similar dance in the video for Dancing on the Ceiling, to allow Clark Kent to walk up walls to change a light bulb in the pilot episode of Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman, and in the music videos for "Fly" by Sugar Ray and "Slash Dot Dash" by Fatboy Slim.

I learned so much last night. Least of all, one bowl of boiled dinner should be enough.

3 comments:

Alison said...

I do not eat these "boiled dinners" but I have had similar experiences with pasta, specifically gnocchi. It's so good that it's unfair to have to stop at some point.

ALH said...

One significant difference between gnocchi and boiled dinner is that boiled dinner has certain ingredients which have certain properties. Namely, cabbage manages to expand and change states of matter upon digestion. This leads to the near-exploding feeling I described.

Alison said...

I did not know cabbage did that. I certainly knew things like rice did that, and have experienced the too-much-rice sadness.

Gnocchi - and most pasta - is more a boulder-in-stomach feeling than an exploding-stomach feeling.

This is making me hungry.