Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Amber & Awe & Shock

I haven't blogged lately because I have been in shock.

This new kind of litter box has been popping up on the various non-LOL cat blogs and has partnered with my favorite cat litter for a contest.  It's called the ModKat.


The concept is that the kitty enters through the top there and sits inside the box.  The manufacturers swear kitty feels very private and likes the shape of the box.  I am unclear whether the kitty's head sticks out the hole or they duck down inside.  This seems to suggest the former.



(That's Thor, a testimonial kitty on their site.)  Then, kitty climbs out, leaving behind trackable litter on the meshy top thing.  Does it work?  Who knows.  But it looks nice, comes in colors to match your home (I was thinking of the yellow for the front hall) and seems interesting and they have a money-back guarantee if your cat turns out not to be a ModKat User.  And I am in the market for a new box since, somehow, the coverless covered box (the cover is No Good for my cats) in the front hall keeps getting tipped over while I am out at work.

So, I click over to the order page to get more information and enter this expense in my budget.  ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTY DOLLARS.  Are you freaking kidding me? 




That is six Booda Domes, which heretofore I had thought was an expensive litter box.  It's ten regular boxes with the litter guard high sided attachment.  Why, four boxes would be $720.  Are they out of their minds?

P.S.  Don't worry.  I am not buying it.  I promise.  That is not who I am.  Yet.

8 comments:

Jimmi said...

Simon had a very similar thing when he lived with Alisa. It wasn't fancy like that. I never liked it, it seemed like a poop bucket to me. And because it had a sort of garbage bag-y liner, he had to scramble around in it and couldn't do proper burying behavior. I think he likes the Boda Dome and the robo-litter much better. He likes robo-litter more than boda dome, because it's always clean when he goes back to it.

ALH said...

Based on my experience with Pickles, I am sure that he would get caught in the robo-litter box.

ALH said...

Pickles is a kitty disaster waiting to happen.

Alison said...

I think my cat would be confused by that box. Like...I'd have to shove her down inside of it the first few times. Also, it seems like it might be easy for kitty to tip it over while trying to crawl out.

Amber, do you have a separate box for each cat? It's ok if you do. I have two boxes for one cat!

ALH said...

I have FIVE boxes. One more than I have cats.

Alison said...

Ah, good - I feel justified :)

Jimmi said...

The Robo-Box won't activate if anybody is moving in it. It moves after 10 minutes of non movement has gone by -- it's got a sensor to detect that. You can also just to it "manually" by pressing a button.

Anonymous said...

Maybe you could make one?