Thursday, February 5, 2009

Amber & Shirley

"Good luck needs no explanation."

Boy, oh, boy was Shirley Temple right. Kevin brought to my attention that, as part of their timely series of economy-in-the-toilet-related films from the Other Great Depression, Film Forum is showing the classic Shirley Temple film that started my personal obsession with the Little Princess.

STAND UP AND CHEER(1934, Hamilton MacFadden)
The President names Broadway producer Warner Baxter “Secretary of Amusement,” a new cabinet post created to “put smiles” on the faces of Depression-plagued Americans, but it’s toddler Shirley Temple who steals the show with “Baby, Take a Bow.” Plus cartoon, Confidence (1933)! Monday Feb 9; 6:00, 9:00

Now, you may or may not know that when I was a little girl I wanted to be Shirley Temple. I don't mean that I wanted to grow up and be a famous tap-dancing darling of the silver screen. I mean I thought that if I could learn to tap dance and somehow get my chronically flat hair to pin-curl and wear puffy pretty dresses and pout just so, I would turn into Shirley Temple. When my mom explained that I would always be Amber, but, with practice, I could be Tap-Dancing Amber, I sobbed for hours. She made it up to me by buying me this doll.

I immediately had my mom take pictures of me holding the doll while wearing my polka dot dance recital costume. I don't remember ever seeing the resulting photos, but in my mind's eye, this is what they looked like.
You know where I will be on February 9.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will also be there.

ALH said...

I plan to come in curls, a big poka dot dress, and my tap shoes. Kevin, will you dress as Mr. Bo Jangles?