Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Amber & Ducks Mate for Life

If nothing else, I am consistent in my adorations.  See for example, pickles.  (Not Pickles.  About him I can be very fickle especially when he puts the fleece wand on my face at 4 am and then sits on my chest and mews.)  This especially true of my crushes, which I hold onto like Eva Marie Saint clinging to Cary Grant and the eyeball on Mt. Everest (thanks to Steve, who knows the difference between Mt. Rushmore and Mt. Everest).


Speaking of Cary Grant, I am incredibly loyal to my actor crushes. Once I love you on-screen, you can do just about anything, take any bad role, grow old, change your hair and guest star on NCIS, and I will continue to love you diegetically, aesthetically, and dreamily.  Only maybe I will blog about you a little less.  Take, for example, Johnny Depp.


Sigh.  If you've known me for any length of time (or ever had tequila with me), it's likely you know the root story of my love for Johnny.  If you haven't been that lucky (or were just Googling "puff coats"):  In 1987, I watched the premiere of 21 Jump Street, and started to sob--not because the show's tackling of trouble youth was especially effecting, but because Johnny was so damn pretty.  And, I knew I could never have him.  Ah, desire. First it's red, and then it's blue. And everytime I see an iceberg, Johnny, it reminds me of you.


I've seen everything Johnny has made, even Sweeney Todd, even though "seen" there really means squinted at out of one corner of my eye while the window on my laptop was only about two inches wide.  (I don't like scary movies.)  You can make that third lousy pirate film, Johnny, and I will go see it--in the theater!  And I will like it because you are pretty in a white flouncy shirt with bad teeth.  So take that.

The latest test of my love is the Alice in Wonderland posters in the subway.


Now, I love Alice in Wonderland.  (It even inspired my first born laptop name.)  And I love fake eyelashes. And I totally am all about dyed red hair, and hats, and tea, and madness.  But that poster just scares me!  And, I don't think it's a coincidence that I dreamt that I had a weird gap between my teeth last night.  I even tried to avoid the poster by taking a different entrance to the A after Awesome Club, but then I had to sit across from one on the train for 161 blocks!

But, Johnny, I will go see your latest endeavor in the theater, even if it proves to be your scariest role yet.  Because, Johnny, I would pay to watch you breathe.  And my love is nothing if not eternal and hopeless.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

For a year after seeing Edward Scissorhands i would cry if any music even remotely sounded like the music from the movie. Ah, young love.

Unknown said...

Mount EVEREST? Gutzon Borglum knows better.

ALH said...

Oy. Not Mt. Everest. I was so distracted by Cary Grant I confused mountain-ish things.

CRD said...

God Bless, Rob Lowe.

You should get back on the Red Lipstick more often.

ALH said...

Right? Rob Lowe. Thanks for following my hypertextual references. I am like a Voyager CD-ROM from 1999 lately. I wonder why.

http://www.amazon.com/Puppet-Motel-PC-Mac-CD-Rom/dp/1581250401

CRD said...

Jiminy Christ. I was looking for that CD-Rom, then I found that CD-Rom, then a whole library burnt down.

Also? The NPR quote/review is TO DIE FOR.


"Creatively, it should do for CD-ROMs what the Beatles' 'Sergeant Pepper' did for rock'n'roll." -- National Public Radio

CRD said...

Que es mas macho, The Rock o Rob Lowe? I am excited for Tooth Fairy on DVD.

ALH said...

The Rock. Is there a question? I love Dwayne Johnson just as much as the next Stiffler hanging upside down, but in a DVD kind of way. He's got to earn my theater-worthiness.

Poor Rob Lowe. He was born, but never asked.