Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Amber & Le French

You may not know, but Coffee, my on-again-off-again lover, and I broke up again.  I'm totally head over heals for the bean, but we're just not a good fit.  It's not you, Coffee; it's me.  And my shaking hands and acid reflux.

And, I totally recognize that I am on the rebound.  I went back to my old flame, Red Lipstick.  Although I know in the past Lipstick has treated me wrong, it claims to have reformed.  And, I believe it--although I recognize that I may just be taken in by its obvious charms.  Only time will tell.  And my Scramble 2 scores.

When we're going out together, I feel like I can be myself--more monochromatic--just because lipstick is with me.  (That makes Purple my BFF, the third wheel, who will be waiting for me patiently and comfortingly when Lipstick and I are on the rocks again.)  So, today's outfit revolved around a black and white striped t-shirt.  And that made me think of France, and then I had to know why.  So I Googled.  And lo!  It's because of their naval uniforms.


And that made me think of all of the other great things the French have given us.  Herewith, a list of my top five favorite French things.

1.  Striped shirts.
(Even better with red lipstick, which is not French.)

2.  Mayonnaise.  Great with fries, burgers, Sapporo rolls, and turkey sandwiches.  Really, great with just about everything.

3.  Casablanca.  Without Paris, what would we always have?


4.  Jacques Lacan.  Because without the Symbolic Order, I wouldn't have a BFA.  And if I hadn't gotten that degree, I wouldn't have met James or Kevin, and CRD and I wouldn't have half the jokes we have now.  And I wouldn't have really utilized these over-active mirror neurons.

5.  That really great episode of Murder She Wrote where Jessica is in France.

Merci beaucoup, les grenouilles.

6 comments:

Amy said...

Five stars for this post. Stream of consciousness plus products plus insider Amber info.

Alison said...

1. Striped shirts, especially narrow-striped black and white/black and grey/black and purple = cute.

2. Mayo. No thanko.

3. Casablanca. Yes thanka.

4. He sounds interesting.

5. The bloodbath that is le Cove du Cabot!

6. I came across this awesome post a while back about a cute little inn/cafe in the French countryside where they serve you lots of little ramekins of food on a tray, and the sun is out and no one has to work I guess. It is lovely. I'd like to go there. http://thepauperedchef.com/2009/05/auberge-de-la-loube.html I just would not eat the quail eggs or other animals. You can have those.

ALH said...

Amy Bee, I like that I get one star for each French thing.

Alison, I would totally go there, but I am not a fan of quail eggs. Amy actuallly tried one once. It was not fun to watch.

Alison said...

Did she ralph? Like, projectile ralph an egg across the room? That would be gross.

ALH said...

It was on a piece of sushi. And raw. I think she just chose to not eat it.

Alison said...

A wise choice, Amy!