Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Amber & Mofongo

One of life's great pleasures is mofongo. Who doesn't love garlicky mashed fried green plantains served with a fried meat and a chicken soup broth? What's not to love about plantains that are both french fried and mashed?

During this time of illness, I remember back fondly to my trip to Albert's Mofongo House. It's at the edge of Inwood, right outside the Dyckman A station, and boy oh boy was it good. Luckily, James was along to document the visit, along with Kevin Somers, who is always a pleasure to see, and Craig Chin, who was along to document James documenting the trip.


Kevin got the fried cheese mofongo, which he let me sample (several times) after he had finished his portion. I think the presence of mucho fried pork and chicken lard probably disqualifies this as a vegetarian dish, but maybe "vegetarian" means some different in espanish?
It was a great meal and I would definitely bring folks if they ever came to visit me uptown. Afterward, we would walk back through Fort Tryon Park, but not if they turned into whiny little girls about having to walk uphill. It's called topography, people.

2 comments:

CRD said...

This doesn't look at all like the park.

ALH said...

It's not the park! It's me with a mouth full of mofongo. See how happy I was? Before I got sick.