Friday, August 29, 2008

Amber & Etsy

I have a new web obsession. Etsy is a (new-to-me, but not "new" if you consider 2005 a while ago) online marketplace for hand-made stuff. Craft types post their beautiful wares and craft-loving consumers go and buy them. I have yet to buy anything from Etsy, but I spend alot of time browsing and marveling at the craftiness of others. (I still love Hulu-- I often have a program and an Etsy window open at the same time.) I am inspired to make my own crafts, and browsing the wares is almost the same as going to an art museum.
I dare you to go and do a search on "hedgehog." The breadth and variety and incredible skill are so impressive. And I've never seen so much hedgie amigurumi.

The proprietor of one of the shops I really like has a really wonderful blog that I now read regularly. Tiffany not only has really excellent taste in fabrics but also political candidates.

One of my favorite ways to browse is to look through the Treasury. I find the collections of things almost as amazing as the things themselves. I sure love crafts.

3 comments:

CRD said...

The fox knows many things, the hedgehog only one. One big one.

ALH said...

You totall just referenced Greek poetry on my blog, didn't you? Or did Laurie Anderson quote that in a song?

CRD said...

It's totally Greek poetry, but also Isaiah Berlin. Not Irving Berlin, because if it was him then it would rhyme and be jaunty.

I miss being educated. Remember?