Monday, January 19, 2009

Amber & Big Bar























I've always wanted just to be a regular person. You know, the one who comes in to an establishment and the proprietors greet by name? And the one who has a "usual?"

I'm currently a regular at Webster Café during the breakfast rush. I come in, they say good morning and, without asking, pour me a large coffee with milk and sometimes sugar (sometimes not), no bag, one napkin. I am a regular who sometimes gets sugar and sometimes not.

It's real nice being a coffee regular, but I'd really rather be a regular at Big Bar. Way, way back in the day, Arto, Lara and I would go there to discuss our independent studies. Back then, my drink of choice was a seabreeze and my preferred topic was Blondes. Then, I became a vodka tonic girl to keep away the mosquitos. I did a short spell as a whiskey drinker (neat, water on the side), but that's a little much for my gardener wages and current medicinal combinations. Then, I moved on to gin and tonic-- even though Grandma said Never trust a gin drinker.

I used to live across the street from Big Bar. Now, even though I live far, far north, it's still my preferred meeting place. Good music, red lighting that vaguely suggests something illict, and booths. And friends. I associate Big Bar with Kevin, Art and Diana. I can think of no more pleasant way to pass an evening on the Lower East Side.

Hey, is my glass on the table there half empty? No! It's half full.

1 comment:

CRD said...

There were SO many posts on Monday I could barely keep up with reading them all! Bravo!