Saturday, January 10, 2009

Amber & Text

Kids these days like to text message. I do, too-- don't get me wrong. But I feel like there are some situations which are above and beyond the appropriateness of texting.

Appropriate Uses
1. Texting a friend to find out if they are dead.
Sample message: r u dead?
A situation that might warrant this could be if your friend was selling his computer on Craigslist to a Stranger and you hadn't heard from him since the Stranger came to his house. Texting allows you to quickly obtain targeted information. You need to know because you might have to call in this dame.

2. Texting friends to let them know you are inside the restaurant when they are running a little late for brunch.
Sample message: We are inside.
Calling might seem like you are trying to rush them, but texting conveys useful information in a passive, calm way. Because brunch should be calm.


3. Texting to say you made your train.
Sample message: I am on the train!
Again, texting conveys important information with great efficiency. And, provides a worry-reducing service to the recipient.

4. Texting conersationally when you are standing outside in the cold during the Plantbuildings Show.
Sample message: Did you hear who got fired?
In this example, the information is neither useful nor efficient. But, texting is mobile and can be done easily with fingerless gloves.

Wrong Uses
1. Texting your boss at 2 a.m. to say you might be coming down with a stomach virus and won't be in.
Sample message: I am getting stomach virus. Won't be in tomorrow.
Really? And you think I don't know you're drunk? Wrong.


There are lots more wrong uses, but that one is so, so wrong, I'll let you mull it over for a while. I hope this lesson was informative.

3 comments:

CRD said...

U R funny. I cnt w8 2 c u 2nite. STEW!

Anonymous said...

I was scrolling and enjoying and them blammo! that dang tank engine.

He is following me everywhere.

Amber, I thought you of all people understood what kind of a setback this kind of surprise can cause.

I must now go bury my face in an insulated lunch bag.

xoxo

Sir Toppen Hat

ALH said...

But Sir Hat, I thought we gave away all of the insulated lunch bags! Drat.