Sunday, January 3, 2010

Amber & "Normal"

I made my biennial man-sock quest to Uniqlo in SoHo over the weekend.


While, there, though, I discovered that they have a basement with all kind of lounge clothing for the ladies.  (This discovery is probably, for many readers, akin to my discovery of sodoku.)  I got a pair of stripey leggings and a couple of stripey tank tops for, well, lounging.  I discovered that I take a size large in Uniqlo, but discovered when I got home that this was not because I am settling like a lovely (but spooky) Victorian mansion but rather because the Japanese are not "normal size."



This tag was on the tank top I am currently wearing.  It says...

Japan Size
This product has been made to
Japanese specifications and is
therefore a little smaller than
normal. We recommend that
you try it on for size.

It strikes me as odd, that use of "normal."

1 comment:

Alison said...

"Normal" is so Othering! Also, my Japanese friend from JC who was rather plump would find it amusing. Or maybe enraging.

Just from the bit of that tank top that I can see, I loves it and wants one. Quick, make them build a store out here!