Thursday, September 4, 2008

Amber & Crochet

With some help from my fellow gardener, Jen, and a book for klutzes, I learned how to crochet!

I've been told that if you learn how to crochet first, then mastering knitting is easier. I am, of course, going in the wrong direction-- swimming upstream as it were in the river of yarn crafts. The trickiest part for me was learning to control my gauge without the cheat of needle width. I now know how to do several stitches, including the single crochet, the half double crochet (which, mathematically, should be a single crochet, but crochet is not math), the double and triple crochets, and the slip stitch. With this small amount of knowledge, I have learned to make flowers! I am using the yarn my mom gave me years ago when I was in Madison. Something tells me that either everything I make this fall is going to have a crocheted flower on it, or someone is going to get an afghan made out of hundreds (thousands?) of flowers.

Next, I am going to try my hand at making granny squares. Woody does not seem excited by my accomplishment.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that is wonderful! nice flowers crafty lady.

ALH said...

Well, I sure hope it's chilly this weekend for the Dan Zanes concert because a certain young lady is going to get a certain hand-made warm thing-- now with flowers!