Thursday, September 25, 2008

Amber & Non-Plussed Men

At the risk of outraging the public, I don't get the fawning over Mad Men. It is true that I have only seen two episodes from the first season, but I have no desire to see more.

Yes, they sure smoked alot in the fifties-- and drank and made inappropriate sexual comments to ladies in the workplace! Weren't those quaint times? We sure are smarter than they were. And the gays were so closeted! And the sweaters were so form fitting! There's a certain disturbing and overly simple nostalgia to the show that I don't enjoy nearly as much as I enjoy this artifact of 1950s advertising.


Yes, the show paints a lovely tableau vivant, but why couldn't I just spend the 45-minutes looking at actual tableau from the same period (although maybe not so vivant)?

Mad Men? Bad Men. No thanks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with this assessment. SHHHH!